Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Think, Plan, Shop, Cook, Store, Repeat


A common concern that people have with going Paleo/Primal is how much time is spent shopping and cooking. I won’t lie; this is a pretty demanding way of living. But I can tell you also, truthfully, that it is ABSOLUTELY worth it. Even if you decide that Paleo’s not for you, moving from a diet of processed, packaged, pre-made foods to one of whole, fresh, real foods can be a bit jarring- if you don’t know where to start. This is where I come in: By giving you a basic plan and tips for efficient, successful planning, shopping, and cooking, you’ll be prepared to move from eating out of bags and boxes to preparing and enjoying your own fresh, healthy meals.

There’s more to cooking than cooking. It takes thinking, planning, listing, shopping, and storing as well. Naturally, before you can take action on anything, you need to have a plan. And planning takes thinking. A few things you’ll need to think about before you do anything:

-          When do you actually have the time to shop and cook? Nightly, once a week, or a few times a week? If you don’t have it right now, can you find or make time?

-          Do you prefer to have fresh meals every day, or are you alright with freezing and/or re-heating your meals?

-          How deep do you want to go with the fresh-made items? For example, are you alright with buying canned, bottled, and packaged staples (like canned tomatoes, mayonnaise, and almond flour), or do you want to make your own? Do you have the time/means/ability to make those things yourself? Will it save you a lot of money, which could be a trade-off for time spent in the kitchen?

-          What’s your eating style? Are you a 3-squares-a-day person, a perpetual grazer, or do you just eat when you’re hungry, regardless of what time of day it is? Be honest with yourself on this one. It won’t make sense to cook meals if you’re a grazer, or have a lot of snacks around if you stick to regular, 3-times-daily meals.

-          How much time do you have to eat? Where and when will you be eating? At home, on your commute, at your desk? If you work away from home, do you have a place to keep your food cold and a way to re-heat it if you need to?

-          What do you want to eat? Do you have the means/time/ability to make those dishes?

-          How much money are you willing/able to spend on food?

Once you’ve answered these questions- honestly- you can move on to the planning. This, admittedly, will take some time. It’s probably the most time-consuming part of the process. But it can be fun. No, really! It’s actually my favorite part, aside from the eating, of course. =) I like the opportunity to be creative- all the possibilities, the new things to discover for my palate, revisiting some old favorites, or keeping my comfort foods on hand. I start by searching for new recipes, or coming up with my own. I also like to have a few things on my menu that I’m familiar with, that I’ve done before, so that I can go to them when I need a comfort food. But planning isn’t just about what you’ll be cooking; it’s also when. By now you’ve figured out whether you’ll be making one big shopping trip per week (or month), shopping in bulk and picking up a few things mid-week, or stopping by the store nightly for fresh items. Based on that, you can create a meal plan that works with your schedule and preferences. Here’s how I do it; you can make any changes you’d like that work best for you:

-          I review what I made the week before, so that I don’t have too many repeats, but also to take stock of anything I have on hand that’ll need to be used up before it expires or spoils. I also take stock of my staples and specialty items (things not on my staples list but that I bought for a specific dish and that I still have on hand), so that I don’t buy anything I already have and also to keep my stores fresh.

-          I make a list of dishes I can make with things I have on hand, a few that I can make and only have to buy a few things to complete, and maybe one or two that will need mostly fresh ingredients. I try to introduce a new item or recipe once a week, just for variety and to expand my repertoire.

-          A tip that I don’t use myself but is very helpful: check your weekly circulars (the junk mail) for grocery store specials and sales. You can get some really great prices on seasonal produce and meats (like avocados, or lamb), which not only saves you money but keeps you eating seasonally and (hopefully) locally.

-          Since I don’t have specific dishes that are only for specific meals (for example, I eat meatloaf for breakfast, lunch, and dinner), I use this meal planning template to figure out what I want to eat when. This will help me determine when each dish is made and when to defrost it if it’s frozen.

-          Once I have my meal plan laid out, I write my prep schedule. I review all the recipes I’ll be using, for two reasons: 1- to make sure I know how much time I’ll need to make the dish and whether there are any special instructions, and 2- what ingredients I’ll need (more on that in a minute).  It would suck to come home from work on a Wednesday only to find out that the chicken you’d planned to make needed to be marinated overnight. Learn from my fail.

-          If you’re not a meal-planning person- you prefer to eat what you want, when you want- making a list of dishes is still helpful. That way, you can get home, or wake up, and know that you have everything you need to make anything on the list. Just make sure that if you do this, don’t leave any uncooked meats hanging around the fridge too long (remember those kitchen safety tips I covered last week?).

-          When planning, especially if you’re a once-a-week shopper (like me), plan to use up the more delicate produce first, like basil, tomatoes, peaches, etc. Things like Brussels sprouts, bell peppers, and apples, the hardier stuff that’ll last longer with proper storage, can be used later in the week. This way you’ll waste less food and less money by not having to throw something out because it wasn’t used before it turned. See this list and this one for an overview of what lasts and what doesn’t and how to store them properly.

So to summarize, I make a list of what I want to make that week, the list goes into the meal plan, and the meal plan determines my shopping trip(s) and lays out my prep & cooking schedule. Everyone still with me? =)

Before you head to the store, you’ll need a list. The best way to make sure nothing is left off the list is to “map” each recipe as you make the list. I’m a little OCD about my list (Type A personality, remember?), so I make a rough draft, then write the final version on the pad of paper that I take to the store with me. As I read each recipe, I write down an ingredient and how much of it I’ll need. If I see a repeat ingredient, I make tally marks of how many I’ll need and add it up at the end to put on the final list. Another thing I do is put star marks next to the items that I don’t absolutely need, but would like to have on hand. While I’m at the store, I write the price of each item next to it and add it all up when I’m done. If I’m over budget, the starred items go back until I get under the limit. This keeps me from spending more than I need, but makes sure I don’t leave off anything that I do need. You don’t have to get this detailed; I do this because I’m operating within a strict budget. A few more tips for your list:

-          Make your list based on the map of your store. You don’t want to be criss-crossing the store the whole time, going back and forth for items as you go down the list. It’s easiest to keep like items together; you can even categorize them if you want (produce, meats, staples, etc.).

-          Start with dry items that don’t need to be refrigerated. Your trip could take a while, and you don’t want anything getting warm that’s supposed to stay cold.

-          Finish with frozen foods, or anything that needs to be kept cold, like meats and dairy. Make sure, though, that you keep fresh produce away from raw meats, even if they’re wrapped. Ask the butcher to put your meats in plastic bags if they have them. Some grocery stores have plastic bags next to the meat section, like they do in the produce section. Take advantage of these.

-          You’ll want to stick to the list, but make sure you leave a little wiggle room in your plans in case the store doesn’t have something you need- they’re out of it, they don’t carry it, etc. You may need to go elsewhere for a key ingredient, or spend more than you’d planned, so if you really want to make that dish, go the extra mile. If not, make sure you have a backup that won’t create a bigger hassle for you, or that won’t be as expensive. This is another reason why I like to have familiar recipes every week; if I run into issues with a new one, all I have to do is double what I get for an old standby and just freeze the leftovers. 2 birds, 1 stone. =)

Alright, you’ve created a plan, you’re armed with a list, and you’re ready to go. So let’s go!

-          Since you know by now how often you’ll be shopping, it’ll either be a quick trip or a nice, long, lingering browse. Make sure you’ve blocked out enough time in case you have to go to another store for that aforementioned unavailable ingredient, or if you bump into that old friend who wants to catch up NOW… you get the idea. My once weekly shopping trips usually last about 2 hours, but I make 3 stops. Also, if you live a distance from where you’re shopping, or if your trip will take a long time, bring a cooler. Trust me, nothing is worse than getting home after an exhilarating trip to the farmer’s market only to find those gorgeous herbs all sad & wilted in your trunk. It’ll also keep meats, dairy, and frozen foods from getting warm and spoiling on the trip home.

-          A tip that I see everywhere, whether in articles for ways to save money on groceries or how to lose weight, is to stay on the perimeter of the store. The center aisles are where the packaged, processed foods are kept, and are the most tempting as far as your cravings and your wallet are concerned. Staying to the outside of the store practically guarantees you’ll keep junk out of your cart since that’s where the whole, natural foods are found because that’s where the refrigerators are kept. If you do need to go to the “dry” aisles for staples, do so at the beginning of your trip. Stick to your list, and stay on the outskirts of the store afterwards, and you should be relatively safe.

-          When you see a staple item, or a usually expensive item (such as salmon) go on sale, get it in bulk and freeze it or store it in a cool, dry place. Also, if you use an item frequently that’s available in bulk, get it and store it properly so that it lasts.

-          Use coupons. Seriously. You may feel like your grandmother, clipping away at the local paper all weekend just to save a few cents on canned green beans, but you’d be amazed at how fast all those savings can add up. I once saved almost $15 on a $75 trip thanks to coupons. Just don’t get nutty with it and end up on Extreme Couponing.

-          Buy store brands. Seriously! I’ve only noticed quality issues in a few cases of buying a store brand instead of a name brand. If you like the name brand better, by all means get it. But give the store brands a chance first. I buy Whole Foods’ 365 Everyday Value line, and haven’t noticed any difference in taste or quality, and it saves me a nice chunk of change.

-          When everything’s checked off the list, if you’ve written down the prices, now’s the time to add it all up- before you get to the register. Anything that’s starred goes back if you’re over budget, and if there’s any room left, pick up some things that caught your eye but weren’t in the budget. Balance- it’s what makes life livable. =)

Alright, now the fun part- cooking! Believe it or not, this is where the REAL work starts. This is where you roll your sleeves up and get your hands, dishes,  and kitchen dirty. But, as always, before you dig in, make sure you’ve got this knowledge under your belt:

-          As I mentioned earlier, make sure you’ve read through any recipes you’ll be using, especially new ones or anything that’s complicated or has a lot of steps. This way, you won’t get any nasty surprises halfway through cooking.

-          Block out enough time to complete all of your prep and cooking, and to put up what you’ve made if you need to. Make sure to build in enough time if things come up (this is especially necessary if you’ve got kids), and just in case you start getting overwhelmed or burned out you’ll have time to take a break.

-          Learn the art of mise en place, or “putting in place.” This is the process of setting up your area by making the tools and ingredients you’ll be using readily available: chop veggies, blend spices, put the shredder attachment in the food processor… you get the idea. My mise en place always begins by making sure I have all the tools I need and that they’re clean.  I put on an apron, set up the cutting board, wash & dry my ceramic knife, and gather my ingredients. Then I…

-          Prep all the veggies for all the dishes I’m making that day AT THE SAME TIME. I separate them by recipe and keep them in the fridge until it’s time to use them. Why? Because it’s easier to get it all out of the way at once instead of having to go through the process for every new dish. Not only that, but chopping all the onions in one go means only having to deal with the sulphur-induced tears once! ;)

-          Blend spices, rubs, marinades, sauces, & dressings ahead of time unless the recipe states otherwise. Some sauces and dressings need to be made just before going into the dish; making them too soon could change the flavor or texture of the whole thing. Another reason to read those recipes ahead of time. =)

-          All that being said, unless you’re cutting it up to be marinated, or otherwise needs something done to it before it’s actually cooked, prep meats JUST before they go into the pan. In some cases, such as with thick steaks or roasts, you can let the meat come up to room temperature (rest outside the fridge for about 20-30 minutes) for more even cooking, but ALWAYS double-check if you need to. This shouldn’t be done with ground meats, thin cuts of meat like chops or cutlets, or fish. It runs the risk of jump starting bacterial growth. Yuck.

-          Once everything is cooked, unless you’ll be eating it right away, it’ll need to be stored. How and for how long will depend largely on when you’ll be eating it. Storage time & method will also depend on what you’ve made. For example, soups, stews, and meats cooked in any amount of liquid will freeze really well in a freezer-safe container without too much more prep. Casseroles, frittatas, and other egg-based dishes do well in the freezer, but have to be double- or triple-wrapped. If you made a big batch of something, you’ll probably want to freeze at least half of it, in single or double servings. Make sure to eat cooked fish & shellfish within a day or two of cooking it, chicken in 2-3 days, and meats in 3-4 days. Keep these things in mind when you decide how much food to make when creating your meal plan. It sucks to have to throw out food simply because you couldn’t possibly eat all of it before it became too risky to eat. For bulk cooking, the freezer is your best friend.

-          One last quick tip: label, label, label. What it is, when it was made, and (when applicable) when you pulled it out of the freezer. This is just common sense as far as food safety goes, and also keeps you from having to remember when you made/defrosted it- or sometimes, what it even is! Stave off confusion and frustration by pre-emptive strike and label everything you make.

You’ve got the steps: think, plan, shop, cook, store, repeat. Now get out there and do it!!!

Are there any special steps you take in creating your weekly meal plan? What was most helpful to you here? Anything I haven’t thought of? Let me know in the comments below. Grok on, everyone!!!

~Megan  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Join the conversation! Feedback is always welcome in my cave. So treat this section like a bookstore: Browse, get comfy, sip some coffee (or bone broth, if coffee ain't your thing). But you wouldn't shout or drop f-bombs in a bookstore, would you? I hope not. So please, no profanity or typing in all caps (it's the online equivalent of shouting). Anyone breaking these rules or posting spam will be banished from the tribe. Thank you! =)