Wednesday, July 31, 2013

What To Keep in Your Cave, Part I: Tools



Have you ever been in a situation where you needed something and didn’t have it? Don’t you wish someone had told you before that you needed it so that you wouldn’t find yourself in that situation? I’m sure we all have. Today’s post is all about making sure you’ve got the right tools for the job, right when and where you need them. Though this list is pretty long, I’ll bet dollars to (gluten-free) donuts that you’ve got a good two-thirds of it in your kitchen already. The other third is stuff you probably don’t have room for, can’t afford (yet), or have never even heard of. Aren’t you glad you’ve got me to help you with this stuff? =)


I’ll start off by saying that I’m *pretty* certain you all have access to a kitchen. It doesn’t have to be a big one, or full of fancy gadgets (though how AWESOME would that be??!!), but it does need to be 3 things: clean, safe, and accessible. Clean should be a no-brainer, as should safe; both are topics I’ll be covering later this week. But accessible? That’s a little less obvious. What this means is that you need to be able to move around in it (at least when you’re by yourself; smaller kitchens and galley kitchens get really crowded with more than 2 people in them), easily get to the things you need when you need them, and have plenty of room to store everything when it’s not being used.  So the first thing you need to do is make sure that you have proper space for all your tools, and that the right tools are in the right place. Just a few suggestions for organizing your kitchen:

-          Keep your cooking spoons in some kind of receptacle (large Mason or Ball jars are great for this) on the counter right next to the stove. Make sure it’s something that can tolerate heat, and that you can clean easily or put into the dishwasher; after all, it’s going to be on the frontlines of grease splatters, spills, fire, and food particles. It needs to be super-tough. Being pretty is just a bonus.

-          Keep less frequently used things like can openers, tongs, cheese graters (the flat kind), and spatulas in a drawer between the stove and your main prep area. You’ll want these close at hand, but not exposed to the same extreme elements that your cooking spoons are.

-          Keep your pots & pans and baking sheets & pans in a cabinet or deep drawer next to the stove.

-          Keep knives in a dedicated knife block, or if you don’t have one, in a drawer with a divider specially designed for knives. You can also mount a magnetic strip on the wall underneath your cabinets if you’re pressed for space, but make sure it’s not too close to the stove. You’ll want you knives close, but not so close as to get grease and food particles on them, or expose them to too much heat.

-          Things that are large and heavy, like crock pots, food processors, and stand mixers (if you don’t keep them on the counter) should be stored on low shelves to help avoid injury in case you stumble or slip while taking them out. If this isn’t an option, PLEASE be careful when taking them down from high places. Use a sturdy step ladder, and make sure you’ve got something to grab onto if you do slip, even if you have to drop whatever you’re holding- to hell with the cookware, it’s not worth a trip to the ER.

-          Infrequently used items like roasting pans (though you may start using this much more often now!), ice cream machines (except the insert, which should be kept in the freezer if you’ve got the space), and other specialty items should be kept out of the way. This is what that small cupboard above your fridge is for, but again, be careful when taking them out if they’re heavy.

There are a million and a half kitchen organizing tips out there, and I’d make suggestions for sources, but it could literally take all day for me to search for all the links to the best ones. Just off the top of my head though, you can browse Pinterest, or go to realsimple.com and apartmenttherapy.com for some awesome ideas, as well as books, online articles, and of course, your own imagination! =)

I highly recommend that if you haven’t already done it, take some time (an hour, an afternoon, or a weekend) to organize your kitchen. Not only will it put everything you need right at your fingertips, and move out of your way the things you don’t, but it’ll show you what you’ve got and what you still may need or want. Take inventory, then make a list of what’s “missing” that could help you become a better cook.

Now, on to the list! It’s long, yes, but like I said before, you’ve probably already got a lot of these in your cupboards and drawers already. First up, though; I’ve given you a list of things I absolutely cannot do without in my own kitchen. Your list may be much different, and that’s ok; whatever works for you. But these are my indispensables:

1)      Ceramic chef’s knife: this is the infamous blade that took me to the ER last spring for 7 stitches. I use it to slice & chop EVERYTHING (including myself, hahaha). Ceramic knives never need sharpening, and never lose their edge unless they get chipped, in which case you might as well just toss ‘em. But no le chingas. These babies are SHARP.

2)      12” skillet: I use this for just about everything from chicken to carrots, for braising and sautéing, and everything in between. Though the one I have has shallow sides, I suggest getting a deep version, also called a sauté pan, so that you can make an entire dish in one pan. It’ll also keep the food from flying out when you have to stir vigorously or have a lot of food in the pan.

3)      Instant-read meat thermometer: I’m ALL about food safety. Though there is some debate about the correct doneness times of various meats (more on that this Saturday), I don’t mess around too much with the generally accepted standards laid out by the FDA & USDA. My instant-read thermometer lets me know when a specific type of meat has reached its recommended internal temperature, and even gives me doneness options for beef. Digital meat thermometers are pretty darn cheap, but the traditional kind work well, too. Just make sure you understand that you get what you pay for, if ya know what I mean…

This is my digital meat thermometer. It was probably the coolest, most useful thing I'd ever pulled in the family Christmas gift exchange.
 

4)      Cooking spoons: I wish I had the old wooden cooking spoons that we used to have. Mom replaced them with heavy-duty plastic ones, which are now stained, melted in places, and flaking in others. I hate them. In fact, I’ll be going down to Smart & Final this weekend to replace them. That being said, I couldn’t do much of anything without them. I recommend wooden or stainless steel cooking spoons because they don’t melt, they’re more sustainable (if you buy bamboo spoons, all the better!), and they’re used by restaurant chefs. If it’s good enough for them, it’s good enough for me!

5)      Aluminum foil/ pan lining paper: I use aluminum foil to wrap cooked foods for the freezer, cover grilled meats to keep them warm, cover a roasting chicken to keep the breast from burning and drying out at the end, line baking sheets so I don’t have to wash them… so versatile and affordable. Foil’s sophisticated cousin, pan lining paper, is parchment paper on one side and thin foil on the other. It holds its shape to the pan like foil, but keeps food from sticking like parchment paper. It’s not a necessity, but I use it all the time so I always have a roll on hand.

6)      Stock pot: Not just for stock! I use this big pot to braise large cuts of meat before roasting or putting in the crock pot, and to make double batches of soup, chili, stew, or my favorite, tikka masala… I’m drooling like Homer Simpson just thinking about it… It’s also good to use for canning, as long as it’s deep enough and you have a tray insert to keep the jars off the bottom of the pot. I use mine every week =)

7)      Glass baking pan: since I don’t have a “formal” roasting pan (the big fancy metal kind), I line this with foil and use it to roast chicken, turkey breast, pork tenderloin, veggies… you get it, yeah? It’s also dishwasher safe, so I get to spend less time with my hands in dishwater and more time with my hands in meatloaf! Hahaha =)

8)      Cast iron skillet: I have 2, a 6” and a 10”. I believe they belonged to my grandmother, though I’m not certain. Hand-me-down cast iron is the best, especially if it’s been well-cared for. DON’T believe ANYONE who tells you to season it with vegetable oil!!! No, no, no. Bacon fat, lard, even duck fat, but NEVER vegetable oil. It becomes tacky over time and will destroy the beautiful patina on your cast iron. I’ve had to nurse mine back to health after my well-meaning but uninformed father spent years dousing it with canola oil… <shudders> The best thing about cast iron is that it goes from stove top to oven with no problem, which can be crucial in certain recipes, such as Steak Provencal (foreshadowing? Maybe… *wink*). Buy it if you can afford it, and baby it if it ends up in your hands somehow.

9)      Nesting mixing bowls: SO many uses for these, from mixing up spices to stirring up some coconut pancakes and everything in between. My mom has a Pyrex set that contains 12 bowls, from an eensie-weensie 2-1/2” wide fairy-sized bowl to the Mamma Jamma 14” wide behemoth. It’s so big we have to keep it in a separate cabinet! I guarantee you’ll use these bowls for everything, so don’t skimp on the expense. Glass is best, but ceramic works, too.

10)   Disposable plastic storage: the word “disposable” is a relative term for me. These are the Glad, Reynolds, and generic brand plastic Tupperware-like containers that come in multi-packs with lids. I wash & reuse mine over and over; there are some in my cabinets that I’ve had for years. As long as they don’t split, melt, or become warped, they’re perfectly usable. There are even some specially made for the freezer. Admittedly, I’m not a big fan of plastic- I’d much rather use glass, but that can get expensive very quickly. If you can find them, get BPA-free plastic storage containers, and if not, opt for glass containers with locking lids. Make sure they’re freezer-safe if you intend to do any bulk cooking. Also make sure you have multiple sizes, from the little half-cup ones to the big quart-plus sized ones. You’ll need a wide range of sizes & shapes to accommodate all the different types of dishes you’ll be making if you hang around my cave long enough… =)

I hope I haven’t worn you out yet, because this party’s just getting started! Don’t worry, I won’t barrage you with details going forward. The lists below are designed for you to skim, with only a few extra comments thrown in here and there.

Hopefully by now you’ve cleaned and organized your kitchen, taken stock, and made your list. Let’s see how yours matches up!


Cookware – I recommend cast iron, enamel cast iron, or stainless steel
8-quart stock pot with lid

4 to 6-quart pot with lid (good to have when the big pot’s in use and you need to make soup)

12” skillet or deep-sided sauté pan with lid

6 to 8” skillet and/or 9” French skillet (sloped sides, smaller sizes usually used for making omelets)

3-quart saucepan with lid

1-1/2 quart saucepan with lid

Dutch oven with lid and handles (this is a really big pot that’s safe to put in the oven for hours; I recommend Le Creuset if you can afford it)

Flat pan (I’m not sure what it’s actually called, but it looks like a square baking sheet with a handle; in other words, it doesn’t have sides) or a grill pan (this has long, raised bumps at the bottom of the pan to simulate grill marks when cooking on the stove)


Utensils

Wood or stainless steel cooking spoons
Slotted spoons

Deep serving spoons

Ladle

Metal spatulas- 1 large, 1 small
Locking and non-locking tongs (see picture below for the difference)

Whisks- at least one, but 1 large and 1 small is ideal

Potato masher (not just for potatoes!)
Vegetable peeler (Y-shaped is best, but traditional works, too)

Cheese grater (not just for cheese!)
Microplane grater

Can opener

Oven thermometer (don’t always trust what the oven tells you, it may be off by as much as 50 degrees!)
Meat thermometer (as mentioned above, digital is great, but traditional works, too)

Rubber spatulas- various sizes, but at least one should have a flat, semi-sharp edge for scraping bowls
Corkscrew or wine bottle “rabbit”

Metal skewers
Salad tongs

Knives

-          Standard 6” and 8” chef’s knives

-          Paring knife

-          Boning knife

-          Bread knife (no, I don’t use it for bread, but it’s great for slicing thin-skinned fruits like tomatoes and peaches without smushing the flesh)

-          Set of 4 to 8 good steak knives

-          Kitchen shears

-          Knife sharpener

Locking tongs (larger) and non-locking tongs. I use the locking ones mostly for large, heavy pieces of meat, especially when braising or cooking in a deep pot. The non-locking tongs I use for lighter tasks, like turning bacon... which means they get used A LOT. =)

 
Bakeware & Baking Tools - not just for baking! Are you detecting a pattern yet? =)
Graduated measuring cups or an adjustable one

Graduated measuring spoons or an adjustable one

Pyrex measuring cup (usually used for measuring liquids since it has a pour spout)
Baking sheets- at least one “lipped” (with small sides) and one cookie sheet

Square baking pan

Rectangular baking pan
Muffin pan

Wire cooling rack

9” circle pan or springform pan
Loaf pan (I recommend glass for this one; metal ones, unless lined, make food stick and stain easily, especially if you line it with aluminum foil)

Glass baking dish, 9” x 13”
Graduated mixing bowls

Graduated measuring cups and an adjustable measuring cup.


 
Safety Items

Wire mesh splatter screen
Pot holders

Oven mitt

 
Small Appliances
Crock pot

Food processor

Blender (Technically, a blender does the same thing a food processor does, but it’s a good idea to have both. Making smoothies in a food processor just doesn’t quite work.)
Coffee maker (if you do coffee; you could also use a French press)

 
Miscellaneous Items

Colander (I recommend having at least 2, 1 large and 1 small)
Wire mesh strainer or sieve (or a chinois; these are great for straining vegetable soups); can also be used as a sifter for baking

Roasting rack

Ice cream scoop
Rolling pin

 
Bonuses- great to have around, but you don’t need them to be a stellar cook

Stand mixer- while this is more useful for traditional baking, it can be very helpful if you’re a die-hard baking fanatic, gluten-free or not. It mixes batters and doughs, whips up egg whites and frostings, and if you have any of the fancy attachments, a whole range of other things. I’ve yet to use it to mix my meatballs, but I’m sure I’ll give it a whirl one of these days! =)

Mandolin slicer- makes slicing veggies thinly sooo much easier. Just make sure it’s good quality; otherwise the only thing you may slice is your fingers.

Immersion blender: helpful when making soups or other hot, pureed things or when needing to puree a big batch of something

Ice cream maker- totally worth having in summer!

Pancake griddle- makes more than pancakes: eggs, bacon, burgers… nice to have when cooking for a crowd!

Standard or electric wok- nothing beats a wok for stir-fry, but you can use a deep sauté pan to do the same thing.

Extra-large Asian-style frying ladle- this looks like a dreamcatcher on a stick. It’s great for lifting small fried items from hot oil, like sweet potato fries or coconut popcorn chicken bites =)

Toaster oven- does a lot more than toast! I don’t have one, but sometimes I wish I did…

Waffle iron- you may find yourself experimenting with gluten-free waffle mixes, so it’ll help to have this nearby when the time comes to make one!

Tea kettle or teapot- you can always boil water on the stove and pour it right into your cup, but there’s something about using a tea kettle or tea pot that just feels so… British. I love it. =)

My gorgeous KitchenAid stand mixer. I hope to be using it much more often in the near future as I begin to explore Paleo/Primal baking.
 
An immersion blender. This is really great to use with creamy, vegetable-based soups, like my Pumpkin Soup (coming soon!).
 

 
Prep & Storage

Plastic and/or glass storage containers with lids- various sizes & shapes, some freezer-safe
Plastic wrap (can be either cling wrap or the press & seal stuff)

Aluminum foil
Wax paper

Parchment paper (essential for keeping baked items from sticking to pans)
Cutting boards, at least 2 (1 reserved for meats, 1 reserved for produce. DON’T mix them up! I recommend color-coded boards to avoid cross-contamination. Plastic, wood, stone, and composite are all good options.)

 

WHEW!!! Are you as exhausted as I am? I know it’s a lot to take in all at once, but like I said before, you’ve probably already got most of it, if not all of it. Hopefully I gave you some ideas for what you want to add to your kitchen, but if there’s anything you can think of that I missed, please let me know in the comments or contact me at grokchick {@} gmail {dot} com.

Thanks for dropping in today, everyone; I’m off to start ‘What to Have in Your Cave Part II: Staples’. Be sure to come by tomorrow and check it out! Grok on!!!

~Megan

No comments:

Post a Comment

Join the conversation! Feedback is always welcome in my cave. So treat this section like a bookstore: Browse, get comfy, sip some coffee (or bone broth, if coffee ain't your thing). But you wouldn't shout or drop f-bombs in a bookstore, would you? I hope not. So please, no profanity or typing in all caps (it's the online equivalent of shouting). Anyone breaking these rules or posting spam will be banished from the tribe. Thank you! =)